Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Secret Theater

Secret Theater
12" x 12"
Mixed media on panel

I'm not satisfied with this painting at all! This is mostly owing to the central figures legs as well as the too-vast blackness which absorbs the center of the image, and seems to me, to take over the entire image. Why am I even showing it? To show some defeat, maybe, or, my ability to self edit. I think about fixing it sometimes but most of the time it's ON TO THE NEXT IDEA.

The image comes from an old war photo. Apparently theater was a means of entertainment for some soldiers during wartime. The soldiers dressed up in elaborate ramshackle costumes (some even in drag!) and created productions. They kind of remind me of low budget performance art from the 60's and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment