Tuesday, October 18, 2011

November 4, 2011: The Wall & Other Paintings

Portrait of Jean-Paul Sartre
12 x 12
Mixed media on panel

I'm excited to be participating in my first solo show at Launchpad Gallery, a gallery dedicated to emerging artists.  I've been working non-stop for about two months on the show and have completed nearly twenty works for the show!  I think I've got at least three left in me.

The shows title, "The Wall & Other Paintings", is a riff on a book of collected short stories by Jean-Paul Sartre.  I chose the title mostly for the protagonists dialog during the course of the story The Wall, whose focus is their untimely execution the following morning and the ramifications of facing certain death.  Other elements pertinent to the story are littered throughout the show, wartime imagery, communication, alienation..

The opening reception is November 4th, 2011 from 6 PM - 12 AM.  Jedadiah Bernards will be also be playing for a portion of the evening!

I hope to see you local folks there!

P.S. There's beer on tap for you Portlanders.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Travis,



    my Name ist Anna Wimmer. I am a german Philosoper and am starting an online magazine, called: Schmetterling- das online Magazin für eine freie Welt (in Englisch: butterfly-the online magazine for a free world.) I am writing an article about Sartre, and his philosophy. After writing I was searching for good potraits of him. During my research I found your painting from the 4th of November 2011 and have to say: I really like it. There is this special kind of authencity, which in my opinion shows Sartres philosphy the best. I would like to use this picture at my magazine and am now asking if you want to give me the rights to publish this picture with your name. For an reward, you could send me a short biography of your works and I would publish this at the page of journalists and artists. So you have the posibillity to spread your interesst parties, especially from Germany. :)



    As a said, my magazine is just starting, so there are not that much articles published at this moment. But a have sent you a link, so you can think about it and make your own descission.

    http://hosting.zeta-producer.com/2385581002/index.html

    http://hosting.zeta-producer.com/2385581002/jean-paul-sartre.html

    ( At the first link you get at the start of my homepage and the second one is about Sartre. At this article I would like to publish your Picture, after the headline: der revolutionäre Philosoph (the revolutionary Philosopher) I hope you are interessted in cooperate with me and i am excited of your next paintings.

    Please send an email to : anna.wimmer1@web.de ( unfortunately i could not send you one..)

    Best wishes

    Anna Wimmer

    ReplyDelete